Fun Penguin Facts and Misc. Infos
Read Penguin Articles and Information
- There are 17 kinds of penguins: Emperor, King, Adelie, Chinstrap, Gentoo, Magellanic, Humboldt, African Penguin, Galapagos, Macaroni, Rockhopper, Royal, Erect-Crested, Fiordland, Snares Island, Yellow-Eyed and Little Blue or Fairy.
- Penguins are found in the wild in Antarctica, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Elsewhere, they are only found in zoos.
- The parents take turns turning the eggs for eight weeks.
- A chicken's egg and a penguin's egg go through the same cycle.
- All penguins have two eggs.
- Penguins are born with a gland which is close to their beaks, when they drink the saltwater from the sea the water goes through the gland and the salt gets kept in that gland. When the gland is full of salt the penguin goes onto a rock and knocks his beak against it and all the salt empties out and the penguin can start drinking again.
- A father Emperor penguin withstands the Antarctic cold for 60 days or more to protect his eggs, which he keeps on his feet, covered with a feathered flap. During this entire time he doesn't eat a thing. Most father penguins lose about 25 pounds while they wait for their babies to hatch.